Your safety is our priority, especially when removing silver-amalgam fillings. We are one of the few practices in Chicago to follow IAOMT guidelines for safe mercury amalgam removal. This means that we are trained to remove these metal fillings, and have specialized tools and protocols to keep you, us, and our environment safe. Without these precautions, your body ingests or inhales the mercury vapor, which can lead to mercury toxicity.
To ensure your safety, we follow the IAOMT protocol:
- Cut in chunks – Cut the amalgam in a big chunk to minimize mercury vapor exposure.
- Keep it cool – Use lots of water to minimize the vapors that come from the fillings.
- Suction – We use one suction directly over the tooth, another for the saliva, and a third one by your chin to help remove any aerosol and vapor. The suction by your chin also has a HEPA filter which filters the room air.
- Supplemental air – We provide you with oxygen so you don’t breathe any harmful fumes.
- Pre-rinse protection – A charcoal rinse prior to removing the fillings ensures that if any mercury particles get in the body, the charcoal will capture and eliminate them.
- Post-op care – After, we give you 1,000mg of Vitamin C to support your immune system.
Please let us know if you have any other requests, and we can accommodate them. Our goal is to keep you safe!
Discover more about mercury and how you can get this toxic, bioaccumulative substance from your dentist through our infographic “Mercury Dental Fillings: By the Numbers.” Use the embed code to share it on your website or visit our infographic page for the high-res version.