You’ve read how your silver fillings may be harmful to your health, now what? You’ve come to the right office by choosing SMART certified doctors to replace your old, leaky amalgam fillings. The safety protocol used by our doctors at Wrigleyville Dental is called the Safe Mercury Amalgam Removal Technique. If you’re wondering why it’s necessary to take these extensive safety precautions during this procedure, you should know that all dental amalgam restorations contain 50% mercury and research finds that these fillings can emit mercury vapors. Without these precautions, your body is at a higher risk for ingesting or inhaling the mercury vapor, which can lead to mercury toxicity or contribute to other medical conditions.
We take the following measures to ensure safety for our patients, staff, doctors and environment:
• In order to protect the patient’s skin and clothing, a full body, impermeable barrier, as well as a full head/face/neck barrier is utilized.
• The amalgam is sectioned into chunks and removed in as large of pieces as possible, to minimize mercury vapor exposure.
• We use lots of cool water during the procedure to minimize the vapors that come from the fillings.
• We use one suction directly over the tooth, another for the saliva, and a third one by your chin to help remove any aerosol and vapor. The suction by your chin also has a HEPA filter which filters the room air.
• Oxygen will be delivered via a nasal mask to minimize any mercury vapor or amalgam particulate during the procedure.
• You are given a charcoal rinse prior to removing the fillings to ensure that if any mercury particles that pass into mouth are captured and eliminated.
• We will give you 1,000mg of Vitamin C to support your immune system after your treatment is completed.
• We also utilize an amalgam separator in our office to collect mercury amalgam waste and prevent it from being released back into the water supply.
Below is a picture of an actual amalgam removal done here at Wrigleyville Dental.